[arin-ppml] IPv6 Transfers (was :Draft Policy ARIN-2018-1: Allow Inter-regional ASN Transfers

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Tue Feb 6 15:39:38 EST 2018

On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 10:27:55AM -0800, Chris Woodfield wrote:
> RFC8092 was published roughly a year ago. I can’t imagine that we’ll
> see universal support for it anytime soon, and there’s plenty of gear
> out there on the internet today that won’t be getting a software
> update to support it.

It'll be end of 2018 for general available software on the majority of
platforms - and for a company like NTT, a deployment of configurations
that use large community are likely to be in 2019 or maybe even 2020.
I don't intend this statement as a roadmap announcement, but rather to
illustrate the timescale.

I'm tracking large community support here: http://largebgpcommunities.net/implementations/

> I have encountered exactly this scenario, albeit on a private network,
> but I can’t imagine this not being a real-world issue for multiple
> operators with public 32-bit ASNs.

yes, there are real-world issues for 32-bit ASN users today related to
communities. If I'd have to do a greenfield deployment of a new transit
network today, using a 16-bit ASN would be a blocking requirement due to
BGP communities. I imagine that for a number of years to come 16-bit
ASNs will be more desirable than 32-bit ASNs.

Kind regards,

Job