[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2018-1: Allow Inter-regional ASN Transfers

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Feb 6 14:16:42 EST 2018

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 2:20 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Draft Policy ARIN-2018-1: Allow Inter-regional ASN Transfers
>
> Problem Statement:
> There is a need to allow RIR transfers of ASNs with RIRs with an equivalent
> transfer policy.

Hello,

I OPPOSE the transfer of number resources to APNIC where restrictions
by LIRS like China have the practical effect of a discordant,
non-recpirocal transfer policy.

I would support the transfer of AS numbers in the generic case if this
discordant policy problem could be satisfactorily solved. I consider
the discordant policy problem to be more significant than what I see
as the relatively minor technical need for AS number transfers,
especially across RIRs.

For lack of any compelling reason to disallow it, I support AS number
transfers within the ARIN region.

> Policy Statement:
>
> Change the first sentence in section 8.4 from:
>
> "Inter-regional transfers may take place only via RIRs who agree to the
> transfer and share reciprocal, compatible, needs-based policies."

> "Inter-regional transfers of IPv4 number resources and ASNs may take place
> only via RIRs who agree to the transfer and share reciprocal, compatible
> needs-based policies."

I think this text is clumsy and it does not fit well with the rest of
section 8.4 which focuses on IPv4 addresses.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>