[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-12: Require New POC Validation Upon Reassignment

hostmaster at uneedus.com hostmaster at uneedus.com
Thu Nov 30 08:38:27 EST 2017

I support this policy.

Giving ISP's/LIR's the ability to add reassignment contacts without
verification from the contacts being added I think was always wrong.
Often, the email added was NOT someone who actually processed abuse
issues, but often was instead someone from purchasing or marketing who had
absolutely no clue who or why we have ARIN.  Often that person had no clue
as to what address should be used (often a role account), and thus never
provided the ISP with that correct information. Thus, the ISP used that
person's info instead. As a result, when they got the verification email,
they thought it was phishing or spam and ignored it.

Ensuring that added contacts in the database have been verified at
creation time should go a long way in helping to keep the database clean.
At a minimum, at least those who have verified their contact before entry
into the database should know who ARIN is, and why they need to respond to
that annual email.  I would suggest that the verification email also
remind the person of the future annual verification email that will be
sent, and reminding them that they need to confirm their info once a year.

Albert Erdmann
Network Administrator
Paradise On Line Inc.