[arin-ppml] IPv4 SWIP requirements (?)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat May 27 08:23:19 EDT 2017

On 27 May 2017, at 3:53 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> In message <37601B52-B8FB-4661-89AB-21052CF28F8B at arin.net>,
> John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
>> As folks are probably aware, ARIN is quite willing to enforce SWIP
>> requirements in whatever manner the community deems appropriate,
>> we simply ask for clear direction in the form of community-developed
>> policy.
>
> Yes, John, I rather anticipated that you would say something along those
> lines.  (And of course, your clarity is, as always, entirely appropriate.)

<nod>

> Let me be crystal clear, so that no one should have any confusion about
> my feelings on this and/or on any other such matters.
>
> I do not in the least begrudge, in any way, either you or ARIN for failing
> to vigorously enforce rules which the community, in its infinite wisdom,
> has not given either you or ARIN a clear mandate to enforce, either in
> a vigorous way, or in any way, as it would seem.  The fault, if there
> is one, lies exclusively at the feet of the community, and only the
> community, for it's tendency to adopt and refine rules which, when all
> is said and done, have no real weight behind them, and which are thus,
> in practice, no more meaningful that the random scratchings of chickens
> in the dirt.

Let me add some additional clarity - ARIN has indeed been diligent in our
enforcement of the SWIP provisions in NRPM section 4.2.3.7, but (as noted
by others) that has been done at the time of allocation of additional number
resources to ISPs.   What ARIN has not done is proactively engaged in review
and enforcement these provisions absent clear direction from the community
that such is desired.   If the community feels that ARIN should enforce these
provisions on an on-going basis, then we will make that happen, including
revocation and reissuance of number resources if such is specified.   I have
no doubt about ARIN’s ability to do so for all number resources in the ARIN
registry, given clear policy from the community which requires such on-going
enforcement.

(I am in no manner advocating for such a policy change, simply making clear
that the ongoing enforcement concerns are a matter of policy clarity rather
than any imagined lack of ability to execute.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO