[arin-ppml] IPv4 SWIP requirements (?)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sat May 27 03:53:32 EDT 2017

In message <37601B52-B8FB-4661-89AB-21052CF28F8B at arin.net>,
John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

>As folks are probably aware, ARIN is quite willing to enforce SWIP
>requirements in whatever manner the community deems appropriate,
>we simply ask for clear direction in the form of community-developed
>policy.

Yes, John, I rather anticipated that you would say something along those
lines.  (And of course, your clarity is, as always, entirely appropriate.)

Let me be crystal clear, so that no one should have any confusion about
my feelings on this and/or on any other such matters.

I do not in the least begrudge, in any way, either you or ARIN for failing
to vigorously enforce rules which the community, in its infinite wisdom,
has not given either you or ARIN a clear mandate to enforce, either in
a vigorous way, or in any way, as it would seem.  The fault, if there
is one, lies exclusively at the feet of the community, and only the
community, for it's tendency to adopt and refine rules which, when all
is said and done, have no real weight behind them, and which are thus,
in practice, no more meaningful that the random scratchings of chickens
in the dirt.

Regards,
rfg