[arin-ppml] IPv4 SWIP requirements (?)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Jun 17 09:55:10 EDT 2017

On 16 Jun 2017, at 10:52 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us<mailto:bill at herrin.us>> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 5:25 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net<mailto:jcurran at arin.net>> wrote:
On 15 Jun 2017, at 5:16 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us<mailto:bill at herrin.us>> wrote:
I'm of the opinion that if nobody minds, it doesn't matter. Thus I'd like to see complaint-triggered review of SWIP compliance with some kind of "reasonable" threshold for honest error and some kind of escalating penalty for repeat offense. Is that policy or business practice?

There’s substantial policy issues in that (e.g. threshold for compliance,
registry implications of penalties) that you should use the policy process
for discussion.  If there is a consensus on a path forward, the ARIN AC
is quite capable of phrasing the final policy with appropriate suggestions
on specifics of implementation (e.g. fees/penalties) that the Board can
then review and ratify as appropriate.

Tempting, but I've come to feel like Charlie Brown to your Lucy the last few times I've tried so if it's all the same to you I'm going to sit here and throw peanuts from the gallery.

Bill -

As you wish – I do understand your trepidation, as achieving community consensus
on even relatively straightforward policy changes can be challenging enough...

Best wishes,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO