[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jun 15 10:58:02 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Chris James <chris at datacate.com> wrote:

> If the direction SWIPs have taken in recent years is less that of
> justification and more that of abuse management,

Hi Chris,

This reasoning presumes a zero-sum game. It isn't. One use does not become
less important merely because another use becomes important.

> is a /56 stringent enough? Should we consider focusing on ways to improve
> the abuse management process?

In my opinion, no. I respect the utility of the additional uses but they're
not ARIN's job. ARIN's job is to manage number resources. If some trivial
attention facilitates using the data for another worthy purpose, great. The
focus of our attention, however, should remain on resource management.

I'm tempted to say something snarky along the lines of, "If law
enforcements wants to partially fund ARIN..." but I think that would
actually be a terrible idea. Two masters and all that.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>