[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6

Chris James chris at datacate.com
Thu Jun 15 10:10:32 EDT 2017

I agree with your assessment John, thank you. I asked because it seems many
people were heavily focused on the whole point being allocation and not
intended for abuse. While this may be true, the entire process has proven
effective in abuse management.

The question I would ask the community is simple and has been proposed
previously:

If the direction SWIPs have taken in recent years is less that of
justification and more that of abuse management, is a /56 stringent enough?
Should we consider focusing on ways to improve the abuse management process?

Personally I would like to see the big providers SWIP more of their /29 or
greater allocations or really anything to a small business with more than a
basic internet package. I know they charge horrendous amounts to give small
businesses "13 usable IPs". ($30.00+ monthly). I do not know what the rest
of you see out there and I am not trying to start a conversation about
abuse sources, but from my records I see just as many problems from /8s
belonging to ABC Cable and XYZ Wireless as I do AFRINIC and RIPE.

When I forward an abuse complaint to ABC Cable, I never see a response (nor
do I care), but I also rarely if ever see attacks stop. HOWEVER and this is
my point entirely - More often than not the attack is unknown to the small
business who's equipment has been compromised due to any number of generic
reasons.

I strongly believe more SWIPs will generate better communication with end
users and increase awareness of compromise thus creating a safer
environment. If not by a little at least.

-Chris

--
This e-mail message may contain confidential or legally privileged
information and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).