[arin-ppml] Discussion on elimination of SWIP requirements.

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Mon Jun 5 22:51:12 EDT 2017

In message <5d171f4e-4bcb-8b54-5788-b48b0235e449 at linuxmagic.com>,
Michael Peddemors <michael at linuxmagic.com> wrote:

>PS, what was your personal take on implementing a public reporting of
>non-compliance events system, that allowed the public to see what
>actions/porgress is/are being made by ARIN in requesting the
>non-complying party to get into compliance?
>
>Seems that under the current model, other parties seem to have 'doubts'
>on how effective reporting is..

For those who missed it, I already put foward an informal proposal
that ARIN would/could/should simply create, on its web site, an
open and public read/write forum where people could at least lodge
comments about this or that specific number resource and its likely
conformance to established ARIN rules, or the lack thereof.

This would involve minimal time and effort on ARIN's part and, as I
pointed out, also -zero- legal liability for ARIN.  It would also
have -zero- effect, one way or the other, upon either ARIN's current
efforts to enforce the existing rules or, in the alternative, ARIN's
lack thereof.  Whatever ARIN is doing or not doing at the present time
would be entirely unaffected by the creation of such a public forum.

I can only infer that the lack of a warm reception, within the ARIN
community, to this rather simple and easy idea can be largely if not
entirely attributed to the community's preference for sweeping all of
its dirty laundry under the carpet.  (And my apologies for the mixed
metaphor.)

Regards,
rfg