[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6

hostmaster at uneedus.com hostmaster at uneedus.com
Thu Jun 1 15:21:14 EDT 2017

I was always under the impression that the DMCA requires all notices go to
the address registered for the domain with the Copyright Office under
17 USC 512(c)(2).

I would not think that using a SWIP'ed contact address for DMCA purposes
would be lawful, unless the URL used only an IP address, and it was within
the SWIP'ed block. If a domain name was used, under the law, the notice
must go to the domain owner contact registered with the copyright office.
Domain owners often have multiple host A and AAAA records within blocks
assigned by many upstream providers. The domain owner is solely
responsible for takedown of content under the DMCA, if the content is
hosted in the USA.  The Copyright holders often forget that USA law only
applies in the USA, and issue notices anyway.

In fact, under section 512, ISP's who do not operate the server hosting
the content and only providing an internet connection to it are
specifically immune from suit.

Albert Erdmann
Network Administrator
Paradise On Line Inc.