[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6 - updated 2017-07-21

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Tue Jul 25 13:34:37 EDT 2017

On 17-07-24 05:06 PM, Tony Hain wrote:
> I still don’t see any value in specifying length. What you are looking
> for is contact info for someone with a clue about how a given network
> works and using length as a really poor proxy. I could live with a
> fourth line:
>
> Any end network emitting SMTP system SHOULD provide SWIP.
>
> I just don’t know how that gets enforced in any reasonable way. In
> general SMTP & independent routing are the big targets needing accurate
> contact info, and length has absolutely nothing to do with either.
>
> Tony

While I agree in principle, it CAN be provided by "SWIP" OR 'rwhois',
and that should be pointed out, as rwhois is more flexible in the IPv4
space, eg providing allocation information to the /32 level.

This again goes to an earlier email where I described that it should be
more conceptual, than specific ranges..

It should be, "if a party is responsible for the originating traffic",
then that party should be displayed via SWIP/rwhois.

Of course, we can just look at the sad state of this in IPv4, eg large
cloud providers assigning IP(s), without any indication who the
responsible party is (eg Amazon, MicroSoft, and many large hosting
providers)

The concern is again, writing something up that is a 'mandate', yet
without any form of 'enforcement', it will simply be ignored...

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."