[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6

hostmaster at uneedus.com hostmaster at uneedus.com
Thu Jul 13 20:56:40 EDT 2017

The various comments about this Draft got me to read the things that were
discussed when ARIN-2010-14 changed the SWIP standard from /48 to /64.
Nowhere could I find a specific reason for that change to 6.5.5.1.  The
draft only stated the SWIP value was being made /64, without mentioning
that it was being changed from /48 or the reasons for doing so. The below
is the only nugget about 6.5.5.1 specifically mentioned on the PPML at the
time:

********
ARIN (info at arin.net)
Tue Sep 21 10:10:45 EDT 2010
Draft Policy 2010-14
Standardize IP Reassignment Registration Requirements
3. Resource Impact
This policy would have moderate to major resource impact.  It is
estimated that implementation would occur within 6 months to 9 months
after ratification by the ARIN Board of Trustees. The following would be
needed in order to implement:
  Potential Database impact if all /64s and larger assignments must now
be swipped (there are ~4 billion /64s in a /32 so the scale of this goes
beyond anything ARIN has seen).
  Changes to current business processes
  Updated templates
  Updated guidelines
  Staff training
*********

As far as I can tell, this was the only mention of 6.5.5.1, when it was
changed from /48 or more to /64 or more. This was a warning in the staff
report that SWIP of every IPv6 assignment would have a moderate to major
resource impact on ARIN.  I think the only reason that this did not blow
up the ARIN database between then and now is that even though the policy
manual currently says this should be done by everyone, it is not in fact
being done much at all by anyone.  My main upstream is typical and has no
SWIP records at all, even though myself and several others that I helped
set up each have a static /48 assignment of IPv6.

This staff report only discussed the impact of the change on ARIN, and did
not consider at all the impact of the amount of ISP labor to populate the
SWIP database, which is one of the reasons that I think it should be
changed.

Albert Erdmann
Network Administrator
Paradise On Line Inc.