[arin-ppml] ARIN Response to AFRINIC on Policy compatibility

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jan 23 12:02:14 EST 2017

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com> wrote:
> May I point out that despite reciprocity with APNIC, almost no addresses
> have flowed from APNIC to ARIN?  I think less than a /17 in aggregate since
> the first interregional transfer in 2012.
>
> You are correct in your expectation that actual transfers aren't
> symmetrical, because they respond to market forces.
>
> As far as this policy opening the door or setting a dangerous precedent, may
> I point out that this one-way policy has been operational for years
> regarding certain Asian NIRs, and the precedent has not proved dangerous.

Yeah. Market forces. The APNIC NIR non-reciprocity scam has nothing to
do with the imbalance.

> I talked to some LACNIC members who expressed an unusual fear to me, a fear
> based on the difference in economic realities in the Southern versus the
> Northern Hemisphere in the Americas. The fear was that poorer LACNIC members
> would decide to re-engineer their networks to take maximum advantage of
> CGNAT for the purposes of selling their addresses, and the fear is that
> these sales will be to the richer regions of the world, resulting in outflow
> and degraded local Internet.  Thus a potential danger is present in some
> minds which a unidirectional policy would obviate.

LACNIC need not participate in cross-region transfers. Every free
trade agreement between has been to our southern neighbors' benefit.
If they don't want another, why should that be our problem?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us