[arin-ppml] Revised: Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Aug 17 18:01:09 EDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 1:43 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:

> Inline.
>
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Leif Sawyer <lsawyer at gci.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the feedback, David.

> I'm not sure what the point of 6.5.5.5 is -  you're just reiterating
>> 6.5.5.1.
>> That said, we could potentially clean up 6.5.5.1 by extending "static
>> IPv6 assignment"
>> to  "static IPv6 assignment, or allocation," - or something similar.
>>

> ISP re-allocations need to be registered regardless of size or if it is
> being advertised or not. For example, if for some stupid reason a /56 was
> re-allocated to downsterm ISP so they could assign /64s to customers that
> has to be registered, by 6.5.5.1 that wouldn't have to be registered.
> Should you re-allocate a /56, @!@#$ NO!!! But if you did, it has to be
> registered.  This is so LEA and other legal requests get directly to the
> correct ISP the first time.  I think this is important enough issue that it
> should have it's own section, and not get blended in to 6.5.5.1.
>
> Now should that be part of this policy maybe not, maybe this belongs in
> ARIN-2017-3 or whole new separate policy proposal instead.

Thinking about this for the last couple hours I'm thinking 6.5.5.5 this
should not be part of this policy.  As similar text should be added in the
IPv4 section, and this should have a somewhat different problem statement
as well.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952