[arin-ppml] LAST CALL for Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2015-3: Remove 30 day utilization requirement in end-user IPv4 policy

Alyssa Moore alyssa.moore at cybera.ca
Tue May 17 18:15:32 EDT 2016

> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 2:24 PM David Huberman <daveid at panix.com wrote:

> My response to this is, "What problem are you trying to solve?"

I understand your reasoning, but also don't think that it's unreasonable to
enact policy that prevents a problem from occurring. It may very well be
that there have been no problems on record to date because 4.3 currently
lays out the 25% / 30 day test, which is a deterrent for grand
overestimations.

Eliminating the 25% leaves only the 50% at 1 year needs test.

A mechanism could be as simple as self-reporting at an interval before the
50% / 1 year test, but that may be getting too deep into the day to day
operations of the organization than is necessary for PPML. I'm not keen on
turning ARIN into the numbers police, but I am keen to see utilization
rates remain a major factor in needs justification. Policy language plays a
role in that.