[arin-ppml] ARIN-2015-3:(remove 30-day...) Staff interpretation needed

Richard Jimmerson richardj at arin.net
Tue May 10 18:18:44 EDT 2016

Hello Jason,

From: Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com<mailto:jschiller at google.com>>
Of the requests are unable to justify the block size they are
requesting with the heaviest consideration weight being
applied to their prior utilization trend, what percentage
are approved for a block larger than what their prior
utilization would have justified if that was the only
consideration?

To make sure I fully understand the question you asked, I will slightly restate the request case type I believe you are isolating before providing the answer:

ISP or end-user requests an IPv4 block as a recipient of an 8.3 or 8.4 transfer. ARIN staff conducts a needs assessment to determine the 24-month need for the organization in accordance with NRPM. The block size they are requesting is for a 24-month amount that exceeds their previous 24-month utilization trend information. Therefore, ARIN staff applies heavier consideration weight to the future plans and projections of the organization by reviewing all related documentation they provide to determine if the requested block size can be approved.

For this isolated population of request case type:

~85% receive an approval for the originally requested block size.

~15% receive an approval for a block size smaller than what was requested.

Warm regards,

Richard Jimmerson
CIO & Interim Director of Registration Services
American Registry for Internet Numbers