[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2016-5: Post-IPv4-Free-Pool-Depletion Transfer Policy

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Jun 24 06:58:03 EDT 2016

On Jun 23, 2016, at 7:58 PM, Michael Peddemors <michael at linuxmagic.com> wrote:

> On 16-06-22 06:47 PM, Andrew Dul wrote:
>> The point of 8.5.2 is to clarify that the community believes that IPv4
>> addresses are to be used on operational networks, not as resources to be
>> held for some other purpose (e.g. financial speculation).  We ask that
>> an officer of the organization to attest to ensure that the organization
>> understands the nature of the transaction and doesn't commit its $ in
>> support of other goals.  I believe having it in section 8 helps
>> organizations clearly understand the requirements for transfer.  (e.g.
>> They don't have to hunt around in other sections for other
>> requirements.) I, personally, believe that the base requirement for any
>> transfer is that the organization intend to use it on an operational
>> network.
>
> Only concern I have, is that it has no real teeth.. You can always 'make' it operational, we have seen recent allotments simply rented out to spammers who want virgin IP space.. boom.. now it is used/operational

Michael -

   That particular case wouldn’t qualify, as they would have to detail their usage of
   the IP address space on their own operational networks (if there is a different
   intent of the policy, the language should be changed to make that quite clear.)

   I do believe such a provision would have significant teeth with respect to inhibiting
   IP address blocks as a viable large scale investment opportunity.   While those
   of questionable repute may want work around such provisions, it would be rather
   difficult to establish a formal vehicle (i.e. fund) for investment in IP resource blocks
   based on a requirement for the necessary representations and the associated risk
   of loss of the entire investment in cases of fraud.   Other than that circumstance,
   I agree that it would be fairly straightforward for most operating companies to make
   reasonable representations based on anticipated needs without significant concern.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO