[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2016-5: Post-IPv4-Free-Pool-Depletion Transfer Policy

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Thu Jun 23 19:58:21 EDT 2016

On 16-06-22 06:47 PM, Andrew Dul wrote:
> The point of 8.5.2 is to clarify that the community believes that IPv4
> addresses are to be used on operational networks, not as resources to be
> held for some other purpose (e.g. financial speculation).  We ask that
> an officer of the organization to attest to ensure that the organization
> understands the nature of the transaction and doesn't commit its $ in
> support of other goals.  I believe having it in section 8 helps
> organizations clearly understand the requirements for transfer.  (e.g.
> They don't have to hunt around in other sections for other
> requirements.) I, personally, believe that the base requirement for any
> transfer is that the organization intend to use it on an operational
> network.

Only concern I have, is that it has no real teeth.. You can always
'make' it operational, we have seen recent allotments simply rented out
to spammers who want virgin IP space.. boom.. now it is used/operational

But it is a slippery slope... question is, does the community want to
declare what 'operational' means? Do we get into the conversation of
what IP(s) should be used for?

And no use putting a definition in, unless the community and ARIN and
it's board are willing to commit to enforcement..

Opinion is that this doesn't really 'clarify' in any meaningful way..

I think 8.5.2 needs to be more black or white, and not really a vague
'opinion' declaration..

Either it is definite, and has teeth, or no need to add it at all.

IMHO

Definition: Operational ???

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."