[arin-ppml] 2-byte ASN policy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Apr 5 18:23:41 EDT 2016

> On Apr 4, 2016, at 22:43 , David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 11:56 PM, Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us <mailto:sethm at rollernet.us>> wrote:
>
> If the ASN gets legitimately issued to someone else and the squatter proceeds to hijack it from the legitimate registrant they should be turned off if the ISP is going to do the right thing according to whois.
>
> ~Seth
>
> If you forgot to pay your bill and ARIN reissues your ASN, it's a matter of perspective who the hijacker is.

If you forgot to pay your bill _AND_ forgot to update your contact info _AND_ let that state of affairs remain so long that ARIN re-issued your resources to someone else, then I have little sympathy for you.

I did, in fact, encounter a situation where an employer (actually a company acquired by said employer) had done just that and while I did my best to resolve it with ARIN we ultimately ended up ceding the space. (This was for IP Addresses, not an ASN, but still seems similar to me).

> I'm not saying it's OK to not pay your bill, but how punitive should we be asking ARIN staff to be?  Especially, if ARIN staff has every reason to believe the organization using the ASN is the original registrant?  And if we the internet routing community are not will to be the bad guys and stop routing it after ARIN staff signals us by removing it from the registry.  When what are we really expecting?

If ARIN has reason to believe they are the original registrant, we should make an effort to contact and warn them. If their contacts are out of date, then I think we have no real basis for believing it to be the original organization and even if it is, they kind of made their own bed.

I’ve found ARIN to be very helpful if you respond when they contact you or if you contact them while they still can do something about it.

> We're not being very forthright, if we ask ARIN staff to break things that we the internet routing community are not will to break ourselves.

We went through this with IPv4 addresses and it was made quite clear ahead of time that the timeframe for IPv4 hold-down was going to be reduced. Perhaps we should publish ASN hold-down times and then move forward accordingly?

> Do we really need to recycle these ASN bad enough to cause intentional breakage?  Then we need to stop using them in the internet routing system!

Yes. I suspect there’s more of them being used for mischief than there are people who merely forgot to pay their bills.

I am not necessarily in favor of continuing the 2-byte ASN mythos, but I am in favor of cleaning up the internet.

Owen