[arin-ppml] 11 Proposals Under Consideration

Richard J. Letts rjletts at uw.edu
Wed Sep 30 18:15:35 EDT 2015

Dave Farmer asked for opinions on the other proposals.

-9 has been flogged close to death, here are my opinions on five of the others.

Looks good, expands IPv6

> >   Draft Policy ARIN-2015-3: Remove 30 day utilization requirement in
> end-user IPv4 policy
OK, really reasonable. ARIN staff comments on this one should be implemented as well.

> >   Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2015-4: Modify 8.2 section to better
> reflect how ARIN handles reorganizations
OK

Taking these two together:
> >   Draft Policy ARIN-2015-5: Out of region use
> >   Draft Policy ARIN-2015-6: Transfers and Multi-national Networks
I'm not a fan of either of these, they only address a small number of organizations, and potentially could be solved by obtaining address space in the right RIR and renumbering the out of ARIN RIR locations, and seem to have a higher burden on ARIN staff to implement. Can policies suggest that additional fees be levied against organizations specifying out of region use, Transfers, or Multi-national Networks?

Part of me feels like we should stop wasting resources trying to update IPv4 policies unless they are obviously broken for almost every organization and make sure the barriers to IPv6 are low.

Richard Letts