[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-9: Eliminating needs-based evaluation for Section 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4 transfers of IPv4 netblocks

Richard J. Letts rjletts at uw.edu
Wed Sep 30 15:42:51 EDT 2015

Where did the 9% come from? Should that not be 24%?

Either way, if we were talking about houses then many of us realize that if the number of bidders on property who had the cash (but not the need) were 10 or 25% larger, then you might expect the value of the property to be higher. The same is true with any inelastic good. I have no idea what the price elasticity of IP address space is, but I’m going to suggest that it’s very inelastic given the lack of alternatives (IPv6 is an alternative, but it has other costs associated with it)

I have not seen an argument that this policy will not increase the price of IPv4 addresses for people who have needs, and I can’t see that is a good thing.

Richard Letts