[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-9: Eliminating needs-based evaluation for Section 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4 transfers of IPv4 netblocks

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sun Sep 27 17:10:05 EDT 2015

On 25-Sep-15 14:33, Steven Ryerse wrote:
> Stephen Sprunk on Friday, September 25, 2015 3:26:
>> On 25-Sep-15 12:48, Steven Ryerse wrote: >>> It is time to fix this inequity and removing needs tests would be
>>> a big help to small organizations who really need resources! >> >>
If they actually need the resources, then a needs-based policy >> does
not present an obstacle. Where's the problem? >> >> However, not having
such a policy will mean that folks who _don't_ >> need resources can
also get them, which makes the (IPv4) scarcity >> problem even worse
than it already is. That benefits speculators >> at the expense of those
who actually need resources. >> >> You appear to be arguing against your
stated interests. > > It appears to me that you are still trying to
somehow save IPv4 from > exhaustion. That horse is out of the barn and gone.

My comments above merely point out that your justification does not
support your proposed action: if organizations actually need resources,
then a needs-based policy is not an obstacle, so removing such will not
help them and may, in fact, hurt them.

It is certainly possible that current needs-based policy sets the bar
too high, e.g. the minimum block size is too large.  If so, then the
proper action would be improving that policy, e.g. by reducing the
minimum block size, rather than throwing it away entirely.