[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-9: Eliminating needs-based evaluation for Section 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4 transfers of IPv4 netblocks

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Sat Sep 26 18:20:21 EDT 2015

On 9/26/2015 12:11 PM, Elvis Daniel Velea wrote:
> Owen,
>
> On 25/09/15 20:24, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> Please provide the metrics on which you base this assertion. How was
>> RIPE-NCC accuracy measured prior to the policy change and to what
>> extent was it improved as a result of this policy change. What
>> mechanism was used to determine that the measured increase in
>> accuracy was the result of the particular policy abandoning
>> needs-based evaluation?
>>
> just have a look at the number of transfers pre-2013-03 and the number
> of transfers after the policy proposal was implemented.
>
> Basically, transfers via the RIPE NCC (recorded in the registry) have
> become the standard for everyone in the RIPE region, financial
> artifices have not been used anymore (as far as I know) once the
> need-based barrier has been removed.

Just because there are more transfers, one cannot know for sure that the
data is more accurate.  The number of transfers may be increasing for
other reasons.  It is possible that the data is more accurate, but just
saying "see there are more transfers" does not mean the database is more
accurate.

Andrew