[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-9: Eliminating needs-based evaluation for Section 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4 transfers of IPv4 netblocks

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Sep 25 14:48:00 EDT 2015

> On Sep 25, 2015, at 10:48 , Steven Ryerse <SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com> wrote:
>
> Owens comment from below:
> “2. To the extent that there is supply, anyone who needs addresses can get them already. Needs-based evaluation does not prevent those with need from getting addresses… It prevents those without need from getting them.”
>
> Owen’s comment is absolutely false!!!!!  It allows large organizing who request resources to get what they need or something smaller.  It allows medium size organizations who request resources to get what they need or something smaller.  It allows small organizations who request resources to get what they need or nothing, and there is no other source to get resources if ARIN rejects a request, but the open market which Owen and others seem to wish did not exist!

This is patently false.

Many small organizations have gotten resources from ARIN.

I have no problem with the open market so long as it conforms to the same needs-basis evaluations that were used for free pool assignments/allocations.

Sure, organizations with larger needs have the option of getting less resources than they need, but I don’t see how that differs from what I said.

Organizations with small needs can get what they need, assuming there is supply. I did not distinguish between supply from the market and supply from the free pool as I believe the rules should apply the same regardless of the source of resources.

You say my statement is false and then go on to confirm that it is actually true.

> It is time to fix this inequity and removing needs tests would be a big help to small organizations who really need resources!

What inequity?

You haven’t yet shown one.

Owen