[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML 2015-2

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Sun May 31 22:21:20 EDT 2015

For the record, I support the policy. The problematic language in the
NRPM is this:

  "Source entities within the ARIN region must not have received a
transfer, allocation, or assignment of IPv4 number resources from ARIN
for the 12 months prior to the approval of a transfer request. This
restriction does not include M&A transfers."

It means that if I go start a new company, and I buy a big chunk of
address space for my existing plans (which meet the 24-month need
assessment), and then get a contract that requires that some of that
space be registered elsewhere for legal reasons (e.g., China), I need to
either A) sit around and not fulfill the contract until the 12 month
timer runs out (and hope I have no other reason to acquire addresses on
the transfer market in the meantime) or B) buy more addresses that are
already in the region I need them to be in, even though I have plenty of
addresses in hand already and would rather not buy more addresses than I
need.

That makes no sense at all. Fixing the policy does.

Matthew Kaufman

ps. The language also suggests that any time you buy addresses from
someone, you should buy a little shell company to go with them so that
you can process it as an (exempted) 8.2 transfer.