[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-2: Modify 8.4 (Inter-RIR Transfers to Specified Recipients)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed May 27 12:17:55 EDT 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 10:06 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On May 26, 2015, at 7:11 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> This is one of those things where the middle ground compromise is
>> distinctly worse than either pole. Either act regionally with policies
>> and address pools for use within the region or act globally with
>> policies and address pools for use worldwide. The middle ground lends
>> itself only to unfair advantage for multinational operators who can
>> shop multiple regions for advantage.
>
> You have a reasonable argument for why there should be globally-coordinated
> policy in this area.   If you need any assistance when developing your proposal,
> please reach out to the ARIN Advisory Council for assistance.  Ultimately, it is up
> to the globally community whether a globally uniform transfer policy is desirable.

Hi John,

Respectfully, we have barely a weak consensus, if that, on what the
transfer policies should be within the region. There is wide
disagreement as to whether transfers should have any form of needs
testing save for the movement of tender. In that environment it makes
sense to pursue globally coordinated consensus on transfer policies?
Surely you jest.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us