[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-2: Modify 8.4 (Inter-RIR Transfers to Specified Recipients)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue May 26 22:06:57 EDT 2015

On May 26, 2015, at 7:11 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> If that's what you truly believe and the rest of the RIR leadership
> agrees with your viewpoint, may I respectfully suggest that you
> collectively task the NRO with creating a uniform policy and policy
> process to replace the regional policies and process we have now.

Some clarity of terms:

   - Global policy – policy used by the IANA registry operator for administration
     of the IANA Internet number registries

   - Globally-coordinated policy – policy used by the RIRs for administration of
     their regional registries that has been coordinated among the RIRs to be
     uniform

   - Regional policy – policy used by the an RIR for administration of the
     Internet number registries for that region

It is the community, not an asserted “RIR leadership”, that matters when it
comes to policy development, and the community has the tools necessary
to develop globally uniform policies if it chooses to do so.

> This is one of those things where the middle ground compromise is
> distinctly worse than either pole. Either act regionally with policies
> and address pools for use within the region or act globally with
> policies and address pools for use worldwide. The middle ground lends
> itself only to unfair advantage for multinational operators who can
> shop multiple regions for advantage.

You have a reasonable argument for why there should be globally-coordinated
policy in this area.   If you need any assistance when developing your proposal,
please reach out to the ARIN Advisory Council for assistance.  Ultimately, it is up
to the globally community whether a globally uniform transfer policy is desirable.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO