[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-7: Simplified requirements for demonstrated need for IPv4 transfers

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 20:01:29 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 4:22 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 6:59 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm inclined to support changing the 8.3 recipient conditions
> >> consistent with this idea but it's not clear to me how this text would
> >> fit with what's already there.
> >

> > Currently, both 8.3 and 8.4 reference "current ARIN policies" for
> > demonstrating need ("The recipient must demonstrate the need for up to a
> > 24-month supply of IP address resources under current ARIN policies").
> This
> > new section 8.1.x would add a new type of policy that would allow
> > organizations requesting simple 8.3 or 8.4 IPv4 transfers to bypass all
> the
> > complexity and detailed utilization reporting requirements of NRPM
> section
> > 4.
>
> Ah. In that case, I'm opposed to the policy as written.
>
> As a practical matter, the text does not sensibly fit where indicated.
> If placed there, it would make the surrounding policies harder, not
> easier, to understand.

Do you have any suggestions for improving clarity?

> As a policy matter, I'm virulently opposed to using said criteria for
> out-region 8.4 transfers.

This would not apply to 8.4 transfers *out of* the ARIN regions, just 8.4
transfers *into* the ARIN region.  ARIN does not (and would not) enforce
needs assessment on 8.4 transfers to organizations in other regions: that
is up to the recipient's RIR.

-Scott