[arin-ppml] Fraud reporting question

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jun 23 19:57:41 EDT 2015

> On Jun 23, 2015, at 14:11 , Richard Jimmerson <richardj at arin.net> wrote:
>
> Hello Adam,
>
> Thank you for submitting these questions about fraud reporting.
>
> We have found the fraud reporting system to be very helpful over the past few years. We receive many different types of fraud reports through this system. Some of them have helped ARIN begin investigations that have resulted in both the recovery of falsely registered resources and the denial of some IPv4 requests that might have otherwise been issued resources.
>

> From: Adam Thompson <athompso at athompso.net <mailto:athompso at athompso.net>>
>>
>> 1) when someone submits a fraud report to ARIN, how are they supposed to communicate additional information on that ticket? Nothing in the responses from ARIN provide a URL or email address for submitting further information. If the complainant submits further information through the fraud reporting form online, a brand new ticket gets created with no linkage to the original.
>>
>> 2) how long should someone expect to wait to hear back from a human? Even an acknowledgement (non-automated) would go a long way to addressing the feeling most people would have that their submission went into a black hole.
>

> Fraud reports receive an initial automated response from ARIN.
>
> The majority of the fraud reports we receive are out of scope. These often include someone attempting to sell services to ARIN or to lodge a complaint about the poor quality of service being delivered by their ISP. Not all fraud reports receive a response from a human at ARIN, for this reason.

I suggest that it would not be hard to develop an out-of-scope form letter that could be sent to the submitters of such reports. This has multiple advantages:

	1.	It will potentially educate such submitters and reduce the number of these they submit in the future.
	2.	It shows that ARIN has seriously reviewed their submission, even if they aren’t able to do anything about it.

I will note that if this conversation goes much further, it may be appropriate to take it to one of the mailing lists for operational discussions and/or technical discussions about ARIN operations.

Owen