[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-7: Simplified requirements for demonstrated need for IPv4 transfers

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 18:59:53 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 3:48 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 4:06 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> > Draft Policy ARIN-2015-7
> > Simplified requirements for demonstrated need for IPv4 transfers
> >
> > Draft Policy ARIN-2015-7
> > Simplified requirements for demonstrated need for IPv4 transfers
> >
> > Date: 23 June 2015
> >
> > Problem statement:
> >
> > ARIN transfer policy currently inherits all its demonstrated need
> > requirements for IPv4 transfers from NRPM sections 4. Because that
> section
> > was written primarily to deal with free pool allocations, it is much more
> > complicated than is really necessary for transfers. In practice, ARIN
> staff
> > applies much more lenient needs assessment to section 8 IPv4 transfer
> > requests than to free pool requests, as 24-month needs are much more
> > difficult to assess to the same level of detail.
> >
> > This proposal seeks to dramatically simplify the needs assessment process
> > for 8.3 transfers, while still allowing organizations with corner-case
> > requirements to apply under existing policy if necessary.
> >
> > Policy statement:
> >
> > 8.1.x Simplified requirements for demonstrated need for IPv4 transfers
>
> Was this intended to be 8.3.x? It doesn't make sense to me in the
> transfer principles section (8.1).

No, that was as intended.  See below.

> > IPv4 transfer recipients must demonstrate (and an officer of the
> requesting
> > organization must attest) that they will use at least 50% of their
> aggregate
> > IPv4 addresses (including the requested resources) on an operational
> network
> > within 24 months.
>
> I'm inclined to support changing the 8.3 recipient conditions
> consistent with this idea but it's not clear to me how this text would
> fit with what's already there.

Currently, both 8.3 and 8.4 reference "current ARIN policies" for
demonstrating need ("The recipient must demonstrate the need for up to a
24-month supply of IP address resources under current ARIN policies").
This new section 8.1.x would add a new type of policy that would allow
organizations requesting simple 8.3 or 8.4 IPv4 transfers to bypass all the
complexity and detailed utilization reporting requirements of NRPM section
4.

-Scott