[arin-ppml] On USG 'granting of rights' (was: ARIN-PPML 2015-2)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 3 16:18:18 EDT 2015

On Jun 3, 2015, at 4:05 PM, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> The point remains. You could have argued that no transfer could happen without ARIN approval.

We argued exactly that, and the language to the contrary was removed by
the parties.

An address block is transferred when the registry entry is updated; if there is a
party that wants ARIN to update the entry contrary to policy, then the party that
alleges this “right” must make that argument in court to obtain an order to that
effect.

> Why would Nortel object? They got their money.

See answer to Mr. Herrin earlier regarding significant motivation due to future
address blocks to be transferred.

> It seems there are these legal rights that exist outside the ARIN registry system, in particular legacy legal rights which remain untested in court.

If that’s the case, then excellent - I look forward to seeing these promptly
adjudicated as a result of a party making an appropriate claim to that end.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO