[arin-ppml] On USG 'granting of rights' (was: ARIN-PPML 2015-2)

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Wed Jun 3 16:05:02 EDT 2015

Hi John,

The point remains. You could have argued that no transfer could happen without ARIN approval.
But you didn't, instead you had negotiated language added to the sales order which was legally passive and basically dealt with buyer recitals.
Why would Nortel object? They got their money.
Why would Microsoft object? They got their addresses.

But why would ARIN twist itself in knots instead of staking their legal claim at that point?

Still no word on the queer justification coincidence? Remember that the addresses were still in use by Nortel at the time of sale and 198,000 of them wouldn't be available until various times in the future, not to go past January 31st, 2012?

How can you stand by that justification, especially since Microsoft didn't even advertise the majority of the purchased addresses for a year afterwards?

This is what we mean by evidence that ARIN does not truly seek a legal precedent be set on this matter.

And this begs the question of your assertion that ARIN "provides" the rights to the address blocks in your conversation with David Conrad.
If that were the case, why does ARIN kowtow to legal requirements (a la the L/RSA for Microsoft and other changes you make to comport with bankruptcy requirements) instead of telling the judge to stuff it because ARIN policy defines address holder rights and registry will only be changed by policy?

It seems there are these legal rights that exist outside the ARIN registry system, in particular legacy legal rights which remain untested in court.

Regards,
Mike