[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML 2015-2

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Jun 1 19:48:27 EDT 2015

On Jun 1, 2015, at 7:30 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> I'll ask again (since you conveniently ignored the question):
>
>>> Historically, the point of the registry database was to facilitate management
>>> of the network, e.g., a place you could look up registration information
>>> when you wanted to contact the entity associated with the source address.
>>> In the post IPv4 free pool world, what's the point of the American _Registry_
>>> for Internet Numbers again?
>
> In your earlier message, you appear to be asserting that abiding by ARIN policies is a requirement for a 'transfer' to occur.  This strikes me as a very dangerous (not to mention hubristic) assumption.  Transfers will and do occur, regardless of ARIN policies. The only thing ARIN can do is choose to acknowledge or ignore those transfers. Failure to acknowledge transfers is detrimental to the accuracy of the registry. I strongly believe the purpose of the registry system is to act as a registry to accurately reflect the correct attribution of use of address space. If ARIN is not going to perform this function, can you suggest some entity that will?

David -

   Your confusion is likely over what represents “correct attribution” - if ARIN does not
   operate the registry according to the policies set by those who use it, then there is
   no doubt that the contents are not correct.   If ARIN operates the registry as set by
   the community, and some in the community wish to transfer contrary to the existing
   policies, then ARIN is obligated to not allow a transfer since we serve the registry
   community.

   One can argue that the ARIN community shouldn’t have policies that inhibit transfers
   (I’ll refrain from participating in that, since I serve the community, not develop policy)
   but I don’t think you’re actually advocating that ARIN ignore community policy in the
   operation of the registry?   Could you please clarify if that is what you are suggesting?

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO