[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML 2015-2

Bruce Cornett bcornett at servlet.com
Mon Jun 1 17:39:51 EDT 2015

All

We're a small operation, but we have had several announcement events
that seem to bear on the matter.

We bought a small company some years ago and once we sorted everything
out, we found the previous owner had simply laid claim to the a /21 that
was adjacent to their proper allocation. All the upstreams took the
routes.  And they had clients on it - one that had an entire /24
numbered out into wireless APs.  It was a real effort to clean up.

Several years ago we started getting "site not found" complaints from
some clients on the east coast.  Turns out that someone in Philadelphia
was announcing a /23 from our block.  It was an easy resolution handled
by phone and mail. But it could have required a lot of effort - i.e.
time and money, and he could have damaged the reputation of the block.

Two years ago we found a that someone continued to announce one of our
blocks years after we parted ways.  What made this particularly
troublesome was that we both shared an upstream provider and they were
somehow accepting both announcements.  Fortunately this was caught by
chance just prior to going live and we sorted it out.

All of these problems were in the States so that if resolutions were not
easily forthcoming, we could at least use the courts if need be.

Recently we started announcing a newly assigned block for a client. Two
of the upstreams accepted the announcements based on information found
at ARIN - i.e. the Origin AS.  Another required us to have an entry in
ARINs routing registry.

These anecdotes do suggest that this is a weak spot and one that might
be exploited.

Bruce C