[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML 2015-2

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jun 1 16:09:50 EDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 3:33 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2015, at 2:50 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> A registration is most emphatically intended to confer upon the
>> registrant the right to -exclude- others' use of those numbers within
>> the routing infrastructure on the public Internet.
>
> if you think that there’s a legal obligation on the ISPs to follow the
> registry, then please provide a citation...

Hi John,

I sell you hosting services using a block of IPs that I advertise to
my ISPs. Another end user advertises routes to those same IPs for
their services. Whichever of us has the solid registration claim wins
the _tortious interference_ case against end-user and his ISPs.
Handily. It's almost a cookie-cutter violation.

Notably, ARIN is not a party to the case. More, neither plaintiff nor
defendant have contracts with each other nor with any mutual third
party. The claim is that defendant unlawfully interfered with
plaintiffs ability to perform his business. The registration is
_evidence_ of who interfered with whom.

Tortious Interference goes all the way back to the 1600s in England.
Its parameters are well established.

I expect ARIN counsel can identify additional torts for which the
registration likely offers the decisive evidence of guilt. I'd
encourage you to take up the matter with him.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us