[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML 2015-2

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jun 1 14:50:05 EDT 2015

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
> Anti-flip shouldn't matter the moment there's no free pool left to allocate
> from.

Hi Matthew,

That's only true if everybody is playing by the same rules. I asked,
but I still haven't heard someone explain the CNNIC rules and process
that facilitate IPv4 addresses transferring out of China and over to
North America. Reciprocity is something of a requirement for free
trade.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 7:41 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On May 31, 2015, at 10:13 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
>> I will note that there's really no stopping addresses from being used anywhere by anyone…
>
> That is correct; the transfers are of rights applicable to specific address blocks in the
> Internet Numbers Registry system - contrary to the assertions of some, these are not
> rights to be in anyone’s routers or in the routing table, etc.

Hi John,

That duplicitous statement has been bantered about since the beginning
of the RIRs. The exact statement is technically accurate but falls
well short of truthful. It implies a total disconnect between
registration and routing which is patently false.

A registration is most emphatically intended to confer upon the
registrant the right to -exclude- others' use of those numbers within
the routing infrastructure on the public Internet. That's what the
address registries and registrations are for. And sufficient torts in
the common law back it up.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us