[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-5: Out of region use

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Jul 4 08:40:28 EDT 2015

On Jul 3, 2015, at 6:04 PM, Tony Hain <alh-ietf at tndh.net<mailto:alh-ietf at tndh.net>> wrote:

[TH] I believe the rest of what I said and this paragraph are in violent agreement, but defining who ARIN provides service to is not the point of this proposed text; by content or title. This document is trying to scope where resources get used, not who is allowed to do business with ARIN.

There’s fairly long history regarding the “out of region” proposals, and that makes it important
to consider this proposal in context.  As I noted, the policy proposals have been all striving to
provide greater clarity on whom ARIN serves and under what (if any) conditions.  Note that the
condition that the party indicate that they’ll make some use of the resources in region (effectively,
that they will route the aggregate in region) is part of existing practice.  See the Policy Experience
report <https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_31/PDF/monday/nobile_policy.pdf>
for more details.

So, you are correct in that the proposal is "trying to scope where resources get used” but that is
solely because the existing practice asks requestors to indicate that they will use the resources
in region as noted above.   Depending on the community’s wish,  this requirement may be clarified,
strengthened, or dropped altogether.

[TH]  I can certainly understand wanting to have clarity (legal or otherwise) about who is allowed to be a customer, but as I read it, that is not what this proposal is about. If the requesting ISP from Mars didn't have, or couldn't do business with their local RIR for some reason, it would be useful to have a policy that allowed at least one of the RIR's to provide service.

If the had a legal presence in ARIN’s service region, and indicated that they were going to route the
resources in region, we could satisfy their request (although I do hope that they are requesting IPv6
resources, since we seem to be a little dry on IPV4 at present…)  We have many multinationals
organizations who have IPv4 and IPv6 resources from ARIN and who use them for their global
networks; there’s no reason that we can’t serve interplanetary organizations under the present
policy, so long as they have a legal presence and intend to use the resources in region...

In any case, once the resources were allocated and registered, where they are used is outside
the scope of the registrar's jurisdiction, as they were and continue to be a global (universal)
resource.

Correct.  Once issued, actual usage is entirely up to the resource holder.

At the end of the day, allowing ill-thought-out policy adjustments to 'manage' the IPv4 address
pool will do nothing except endanger the ability to properly manage the IPv6 pool. All IPv4 policy
changes should be limited to recognizing that the free-pool is exhausted, and otherwise stop.

Tony - your admonishment is taken in good spirit, but you should observe that there is a bit
of existing policy and practice that has accumulated over time with respect to IPv4 resource
administration.  Some of this policy is “linked”, e.g. it is quite possible today that policy that
was designed for proper allocation of new IPv4 resources from the free pool will be applicable
in some manner to processing a transfer request for IPv4 today, despite free pool runout…
Ergo, there are likely to still be quite a few policy proposals to change IPv4 policy, and will be
particularly important to consider if they improve administration of number resources compared
to the present situation rather than considering them in isolation.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO