[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-5: Out of region use

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jul 1 20:42:51 EDT 2015

On Jul 1, 2015, at 7:36 PM, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:

> I'm in favor of 2015-5, but think it's a little late to be even talking about this.  My problem with current policy is ARIN has adopted a highly conservative interpretation of vague policy (basically inventing policy disallowing out of region use when such a thing is not explicitly in any established policy).

Actually, the fact that ARIN has a service region is quite clear.  The implications of having
a service region is that organizations that have no operational presence in the region and
request resources not for use in the region are denied.   This was called out to the community
in April 2013 Barbados Policy Experience Report, so that the community could discuss and
change policy if so desired.

> There are ARIN members running global networks who have been using ARIN resources out of region for many years, only to eventually find out "those IPs don't count as 'utilized' depending on exactly how you've allocated and routed them.”

Actually, the policy experience report was not the result of any issues or concerns raised
by any global organization seeking to obtain or use IP address space from ARIN - it was
the result of a number of organizations seeking address space that had no operational
presence in the region.

> Given how close ARIN is to run-out, I'm not sure how meaningful passage of 2015-5 would be...but I'd still like to see more of a connection between ARIN's number policies and the actual NRPM (not some narrow interpretation of its vagueness).

The existing policy text is sufficient for current registry administration, but clarity is always
helpful (and why the staff provides policy experience reports at the meetings)  At this point,
it has been more than two years since the Barbados experience report without consensus
for a change - if the community wants to provide additional clarity, that would be still be
welcome (even if it does not get much use in light of the depletion of the IPv4 free pool.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO