[arin-ppml] Requesting Feedback: Draft Policy ARIN-2014-22: Removal of Minimum in Section 4.10

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 21:58:09 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 6:48 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> I see no advantage to 2014-22. I think when this block comes into play,
> since it is a particular designated block, ISPs will react relatively
> quickly to allow longer prefixes within this space when it becomes
> necessary.

Currently opposed to 2014-22, but can be convinced to take
a pragmatic support position with some actual facts.

>From a theoretical perspective, 2014-22 should not seem to be
necessary.  However, while ARIN has never insured number
routability, the reality is many /24 filters are in place.  Since
this block is intended to be a lifeline, that lifeline would ideally
not be attached to an anchor (of needing to convince others to
update their filters).  What I would like to hear is the results of
even a non-scientific straw poll (perhaps at the upcoming NANOG
at the PPC?) that indicates that ISPs have already updated their
filters accordingly to allow a /28 out of this /10, or have plans
to do so (or will choose not do so).  That would be highly helpful
to me to decide whether to support this proposal as one of those
things that needs to be advanced (while holding ones nose).

Gary