[arin-ppml] 2014-1 Out of Region Use

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Feb 25 17:31:41 EST 2015

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Jon
> Yes, it's clear that you support the intent of 2014-1, which is to
> reconcile actual staff practice with an approved policy. But it also
> sounds like you think our threshold requirement can be gamed?  The
> "speaking Romanian" issue (or more likely, speaking Chinese) has been
> the subject of fierce debates. Do you have specific suggestions for how
> we could fix this?

I haven't thought of anything yet that I don't think would be trivial to
game.  Operating in region could be accomplished with as little as one
cloud VM.  "Doing business in" could be done with a Delaware shell company
that "exists in region", but only on paper.

This may be too arbitrary, but what if to qualify to be permitted to
use/request resources from ARIN for out of region use, in addition to
what's already in 2014-1, you had to be an ARIN member for some minimum
amount of time (i.e. already have resources managed by ARIN)?  1 year?
The idea would be to make it harder for a completely "out of region"
entity to come to ARIN under this new policy and game the system and
use ARIN as an alternative to their "local" RIR.