[arin-ppml] 2014-1 Out of Region Use

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Feb 25 13:46:18 EST 2015

On Feb 25, 2015, at 1:10 PM, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:

> I wasn't prepared to argue about either of these "policies" yesterday, but after searching the NRPM, I can't find any basis for either of them.  So, I called the helpdesk to double-check / ask where in the NRPM I could find these "policies".  I was told they're based on ARIN's interpretation of 2.2, specifically "The primary role of RIRs is to manage and distribute public Internet address space within their respective regions."

Jon -

You probably want to reference the Policy and Experience report where
we pointed out the conflict with regards to ARIN's mission and current
policy text.  It was at the ARIN 31 meeting in Barbados, and you can find
the slides here - <https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_31/PDF/monday/nobile_policy.pdf>

>  Those are some very specific "policies" derived from a very vague sentence, which I think could just as reasonably be interpreted as meaning the RIRs exist to serve organizations headquartered in their respective service regions. You're a US corporation, ARIN is your RIR.  You're a German corporation, RIPE is your RIR.

That seems to be a very logical policy option; you might want to submit
it as policy proposal.  There was some past work in that direction, but
the particular proposal discussed did not achieve sufficient consensus
to move forward.

> I think 2014-1 shouldn't be necessary, but since current ARIN "policy" is based on an interpretation I disagree with of vague language in section 2, I suppose I'm all for passage of 2014-1.

Indeed - clarity in policy text is generally beneficial.

> I just hope it doesn't have the sort of unintended consequences I think it could easily have.  Does the helpdesk have many staffers who speak Romanian?

Excellent question. The staff and legal review for 2014-1 also points out
the possibility for these sorts of risks, since (if adopted) there would be
real potential for serving organizations with an in-region presence that are
predominantly headquartered and operational elsewhere.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO