[arin-ppml] Proposal ARIN-2015-8
ctacit at tacitlaw.com
Thu Dec 3 14:35:07 EST 2015
I am writing on behalf of the ARIN AC to seek additional input from the community regarding how (or if) we should proceed with ARIN-2015-8.
The feedback received at ARIN 36 and in subsequent AC discussions has been very mixed and there is no community consensus for the proposal in its present form.
Some of the main points made at ARIN 36 and the subsequent AC meeting were:
1. Orgs should not be able to by-pass the fee structures and other policy consequences of being classified as ISPs, and the draft policy would facilitate this type of by-pass;
2. Some of those who shared the concern in point 1. said that they would still support allowing Orgs to SWIP to themselves (and possibly to related Orgs) to facilitate geolocation and this will be even more important in an IPv6 environment where assigned address blocks are much bigger and so often not used at one location;
3. ARIN already allows RWHOIS to be used by End-Users, which leads to the question of whether this avenue should be foreclosed, End-User SWIPs should be allowed or the status quo should be left in place;
4. Should End-Users who want to be able to re-assign records simply be required to become ISPs?
5. Should the ISP/End-User distinction be eliminated (which is a bigger discussion outside the scope of the current problem statement)?
6. If the ISP/End-User fee distinction were eliminated, would there still be opposition to the draft policy?
7. To what extent is there value or do problems get created if End-Users can SWIP (i.e., improving the accuracy of database information vs. possibly facilitating a "grey market" where the true registered users of numbering resources are not known)? and
8. Does the problem statement need to be reformulated, and if so, how?
If you would like to see further work on this policy, please let us at the AC know what form you think that work should take. If you think the policy should be abandonded altogether we would like to know that as well.
Christian S. Tacit,
P.O. Box 24210 RPO Hazeldean
K2M 2C3 Canada
Tel: +1 613 599 5345
Fax: +1 613 248 5175
E-mail: ctacit at tacitlaw.com
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is subject to copyright, privileged, confidential, proprietary or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, distributing, copying or in any way using this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy or delete copies you may have received.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ARIN-PPML