[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-8: Reassignment records for IPv4 End-Users

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Aug 28 16:46:51 EDT 2015

On Aug 28, 2015, at 4:15 PM, Gary T. Giesen <ggiesen at giesen.me> wrote:

> John,
>
> And if every ISP starts becoming an end-user because they can now submit
> reassignment records and ARIN goes broke because they've lost X% (X = not
> insignificant) of their revenue, how useful will the registry be then?

Gary -

While that is a theoretical possibility, it is an extremely unlikely outcome…
(i.e. “ARIN goes broke” presumes not only that staff is not performing correct
financial planning, but that the ARIN Board is remiss in noticing and addressing
the situation – this would be quite surprising given their record of ample attention
to ARIN’s financial well being...)

With respect to cost-recovery, it is important to note that there is a not a direct
relation such that ISP == large and End-User == small, so in environment where
the services (and fees) are the same for end-users and ISPs, we would either
have a uniform fees for all, or would have to rely upon the size distinction to
recover more from larger entities (whether ISP or end-user) so that smaller
entities could have significantly smaller fees.

(I have no idea if this is a desirable outcome, that’s for the community to
consider, but it is certainly a manageable situation if we’re told to head in
that direction.)

> I'm supportive of reassignment records for end users, for things like better
> geolocation, dividing between their departments, facilitating usage
> counting, etc. But if they are reselling them they are an ISP and should
> bear the cost of that rather than pushing it down to other end users who are
> not directly deriving revenue from limited IP resources.

That’s a very clear expression of your position and reasoning - thanks!
/John