[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-8: Reassignment records for IPv4 End-Users

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Aug 28 16:05:30 EDT 2015

On Aug 28, 2015, at 1:56 PM, Gary T. Giesen <ggiesen at giesen.me> wrote:
> Not to beat a dead horse, but I think if an org wants to (or is required to)
> make assignments to entities that don't fit that definition, then they
> should apply for an ISP block (or have their existing block converted) and
> pay the appropriate fees, and allow the rest of us to keep end-user fees
> low.

We have had a handful of organizations switch from end-user to ISP for the
purposes of being able to put in reassignment records (e.g. to improve the
usefulness of geolocation), but it is almost certain that others having avoided
such a change due to the cost implications.

In the end, the community has to consider the indirect financial benefit vs the
implied reduction in usefulness of the registry that results when parties seek
to avoid paying same.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran