[arin-ppml] Hoarding and speculation (was: Re: Draft Policy ARIN-2014-20: Transfer Policy Slow Start and Simplified Needs Verification)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Sep 24 11:37:10 EDT 2014

On Sep 24, 2014, at 11:21 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> I think it benefits everyone concerned if ARIN says with respect to transfers:
> - a sizeable part of the community thinks we don't need needs assessment on transfers at all
> - a sizeable part thinks we should have them
> - needs assessments of transfers cost everyone time and money
> - by making smaller transfers exempt from costly needs assessments we optimize the balance between efficiency and needs assessment and mitigate if not eliminate most of the objections (speculation, hoarding) to not using needs assessment

Milton -

  As I noted, it may not be very difficult to document meeting the
  requirement, but should be explicit in the draft policy writeup.

  That's why I noted it as not an counter argument per se but simply
  a requirement will need consideration (as you've done above.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO