[arin-ppml] Hoarding and speculation (was: Re: Draft Policy ARIN-2014-20: Transfer Policy Slow Start and Simplified Needs Verification)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Sep 24 11:00:42 EDT 2014

On Sep 24, 2014, at 10:48 AM, David Huberman <David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:

> I think John's message, with its new info that speculators call him regularly to learn the rules,

To be clear, I indicated that I've had investment firms ask about the 'rules and
regulations' that apply to transfers of IP address rights for this very reason;
it is not known if any of them decided to engage in speculation...

(Note: I also direct all of them to ARIN's list of transfer facilitators -
 https://www.arin.net/resources/transfer_listing/facilitator_list.html>,
 as these folks may have different perspective or insights on the market)

> What's the counter argument against 2014-14?

Not a counter-argument per se, but just a note that is necessary for the ARIN
AC to document why any draft policy enables fair and impartial number resource
administration. In the case of 2014-14, this means making clear why a constraint
is only applied only to transfer requests of a certain size.  That may not be
very difficult, but is a requirement that must be met in recommending any policy
for adoption.

FYI,
/John

John Curran