[arin-ppml] Hoarding and speculation (was: Re: Draft Policy ARIN-2014-20: Transfer Policy Slow Start and Simplified Needs Verification)

David Huberman David.Huberman at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 24 10:48:40 EDT 2014

I think John's message, with its new info that speculators call him regularly to learn the rules, leads to a fairly straightforward conclusion:

2014-14 would work nicely.

-get a "free" 8.3 transfer up to a /16
-anything more requires strict needs basis <mechanism TBD>
-throw in a clause that ARIN has the right to refuse if it believes the free transfer is not being made in good faith because of speculation and multiple OrgIDs

This makes life easy for non-big guys.

It deters speculation.

It keeps needs basis for those with all the money.

What's the counter argument against 2014-14?

David R Huberman
Microsoft Corporation
Principal, Global IP Addressing