[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-20: Transfer PolicySlow Start and Simplified Needs Verification

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Mon Sep 22 15:13:19 EDT 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Kargel
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2014 1:13 PM
To: David Huberman ; John Curran
Cc: arin-ppml at arin.net List (arin-ppml at arin.net)
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-20: Transfer PolicySlow
Start and Simplified Needs Verification

> John, we're on the same page here, I think.
>
> > I am not for or against the present approach, but want to understand
> > the community thinking on why enterprises should be prevented from
> > doing transfers and subject to architecture-specific constraints in
> > order to receive approval.
>
> No one participating in the RIR system should be prevented from doing any
> bona fide transfer.  In the 8.3 world, network operators must be free to
> buy
> and sell IP addresses as it fits their business plans.  If we can agree on
> that,
> can we agree that any mechanism which forces a company to do multiple
> transfers or buy multiple blocks is a disservice to the community?

I for one do not agree with this.  ARIN is in the business of supporting
networks and network operators and doing a fine job of it.  ARIN has no
place supporting commodity sales.
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

ARIN is not supporting network operators by forcing them into more expensive
and fraught transfer options.
Nor by preventing initial allocations via transfer.

Regards,
Mike