[arin-ppml] Micro-allocation policy proposal draft

David Huberman David.Huberman at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 22 14:09:32 EDT 2014

I apologize – I wish to follow-up on my own post as I hastily composed it.

Many years ago, Randy Bush made a point which resonated me:  we want to avoid “golden networks”.  We want to avoid 8.8.8.8 being designated a critical internet infrastructure service just because it’s successful.  Its absence would not stop the internet from working (in this case, DNS would still resolve just fine).  We want to avoid “anycast” being a “golden network”.  Anycast is an engineering choice, but its existence within a platform is not mission critical.  It just works better that way, maybe, but not more than that.

My stated concern with the new text is it opens to the door to Randy’s golden networks.  I’d prefer not to, especially as I think the pre-defined list serves us well.

David R Huberman
Microsoft Corporation
Principal, Global IP Addressing