[arin-ppml] Availability of the ARIN Fee Structure Review Report

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Fri Sep 19 19:42:40 EDT 2014

On 14-09-19 07:28 AM, John Curran wrote:
> ARIN Members and Community -
>
> After the last change to the ARIN fee schedule, the ARIN Board of Trustees
> directed the creation of a "Fee Structure Review Panel" to consider possible

After careful review, and thought I would like to make some comments.

In general, I believe that for the most cases, usage fees does seem
appropriate to an extent.. Appendix A.4 Linear Fee Categories Proposal
is one where I would lean to.

However, some caveats..

The fee for XX-Small and X-Small might be too low given the actual costs
in manpower nowadays, and the requirements might typically be as much as
a Small, so I would say that $200/yr is a fair minimum, and not to onerous.

XX-Small: $200
Small:    $200
Medium:   $400
... (as described)

And it seems fair, and less prone to abuse, or 'cheating', ie shell
company allocations etc.. than some of the other methods.

The only concern might be a few legacy holders, that see no commercial
value, but this plan might encourage legacy holders of large blocks that
don't really need IPv4 space (eg IPv6 or NAT can do) to give back IP
Addresses to the pool.

The majority of large holders I think get a commercial value for each
and every IP Address, so should be able to handle the fee structure, and
it might reduce 'flippant' use of IP Space, eg using large ranges of
IP(s) when smaller ranges will do.

I would like to hear opinions on this specific proposal, from both ends
of the scale, the largest and the smallest.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."